Skincare Assistant is the product of a project helping people manage their skincare routines and skincare products. People can create their own personalized skincare routines based on the skincare products they have. Reminders help people bring to mind using the products that are not required to use every day and Statistical Charts allow them to understand their performance better. With Skincare Assistant, people’s skincare regimen can be more productive and effective.
I’m a member of a special interest group on WeChat, in which members mainly discuss beauty products. We not only share the opinions about products we like or dislike each other but also offer advice on skincare routine based on different skin types. I find that many members of the group always forget to use skincare products especially when the products do not need to be used every day. Eventually, those skincare products expire because of reaching their period-after-opening (PAO). Besides, most of the group members including myself usually forget to exactly follow the instruction or advice of the skincare products but complain that they have no effect.
How to avoid wasting the skincare products we have bought? How to maximize the effectiveness of our skincare products?
Habit tracker may be a promising solution to the problem. But I haven’t found any application can satisfy all the needs in terms of skincare routine management after a thorough search on the Internet, except one application on Android platform which is too complicated and has too many restrictions. So I think it is an opportunity to create a better one for managing people’s skincare routines and maximizing the results of their skincare products.
To better understand people's attitudes towards skincare and collect information about their habits of skincare, I conducted an online survey.
- What's the purpose of your skincare?
- Do you have any plan for skincare?
- Have you been following your skincare plans in the last three months?
- How many skincare products do you use every day?
- When do you use skincare products every day?
- Are you aware of the period-after-opening (PAO) symbol on cosmetics?
- How do you deal with the cosmetics that have expired but not used up?
- Most people have specific purposes for skincare.
- People prefer to stock additional products for future use.
- Different from other habits, skincare is done more than once a day, generally twice a day.
- Most people have never noticed the PAO symbol, they even don't know its existence.
The next step is to investigate people's attitudes towards and usage behaviors of habit tracker, which is close to my project. I recruited 10 participants and conducted a Focus Group to discuss their user experiences and features of such products.
- Do you use habit trackers to improve yourself?
- If not, why don't you use such products?
- What kinds of habit do you track?
- Do you ignore those reminders?
- What motivates you to check in every day?
- Have any of such products really helped you?
- What are the limitations?
- How can I help people manage their skincare products?
- In what ways can I help people establish their personalized skincare routine?
- How can I help people follow their plans?
- How can I help people maximize the effectiveness of their skincare products?
I drew a mindmap to organize the collected information and make the structure more clear.
The sitemap is derived from the mind map but its structure evolves from two modules to three. Managing products is split from Making Plans due to its complexity in operations and independence in functionality.
The prototype was tested by some of the members of the special interest group mentioned above. I collected feedback from 12 testers and observed the behavior of 3 testers when they were testing. All participants were asked to do the following tasks:
- Adding a skincare product.
- Viewing the products in all categories and in a specific category.
- Creating a skincare routine and arranging the products.
- Viewing the dashboard and checking the “Performance” with a single product.
Based on the feedback from testing, I removed the redundant features and added some new features.
Removed the “monthly” option
Very few skincare products are used monthly. Maybe there are some, but their use can also be scheduled every several weeks. Thus, the “monthly” option on the Schedule page is less useful for users.
Added related products function
If product A is always used before/after product B, these two are related products. For instance, I always apply sheet masks after using the facial cleansing brush. Users can manually set related products for one product. So when a product is added to a routine, its related products will also be added automatically.
Added exciting challenges
Challenges sound more appealing to users, such as 10-Day Masks, The Korea Skin Care Routine, 28-Day Glowing Skin Challenge, etc. Users can join various exciting challenges if they have no idea how to create their own routines.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME